View Single Post
Old 10-19-2021, 10:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,607 Times in 7,088 Posts
Quote:
...looking into options for cars. I don't like hatchbacks for the most part. I want to know of a good sedan or coupe...
Thanks for asking. Understand use case and total cost of ownership.

Use case: the 80/20 rule. Don't go oversized or too small. Consider the average occupancy and cargo.

TCO: All cars depreciate on a descending curve, but some go back up later. My favorite example would be the Type III Notchback, Squareback and Fastback. They represent the three categories although the Squareback is technically more of a shooting brake. The Fastback I think is too fast, like a Beetle. You can check with aerohead.

Anyways, if you get a 50-year-old car that only gets 40 MPG and maintain it, the resale value goes through the roof. Old VW buses are unobtainium at this point.

Would you drive this?

A $5K car in 2015. I had one the same color. Looking at www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/newads.php?type=cars, I find one Type III, a red Fastback.

www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2503823

California car, the tree jumped out in front of him. Parts included, if it were driveable and in Michigan it would be a good example of sweat equity.

Check out the TheSamba ads. There's a Porsche 356A for $157K. the 1964 Karmann Ghia has a nice interior, but they don't show the exterior: $17K.