View Single Post
Old 10-22-2021, 08:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
What in the world are you arguing against? It's not only possible, it's already been done.
It hasn't. 95% of worldwide hydrogen comes from natural gas.

Quote:
Maybe I don't understand you or you don't understand me. But I never said that we should stop doing anything. On the other hand, you sound like you're saying we should stop trying anything new.
Pretty sure I understand you; that we should embrace much less efficient technology and become less prosperous for the greater good of reducing CO2 emissions.

I'm saying that just because something can technically be done doesn't mean it's the superior method. Things are the way they are because better alternatives haven't been discovered.

Quote:
But that's the beauty of choice. If you want to burn gasoline, go ahead, have at it. If I want to drive an EV, a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle, or a bike should I be banned from doing so? Should I be banned from putting solar panels on the top of my house or banned from installing a battery bank or a (safely built) hydrogen fuel electrolysis generator and compressor for my hydrogen fuel cell vehicle?
We're in agreement here. Liberty means freedom to decide what's best for oneself. Forcing me to pay for Paul's solar panels is the opposite of liberty though.

Quote:
Doesn't Norway get 95% or more of it's energy from renewables?
Norway has a population of Wisconsin and tons of hydro power resources. We could be like Norway if we invaded to take their natural resources and then culled 85% of our population.

Perhaps it slightly attones for their #1 economic product; oil exports.

Quote:
But spending more and having a more exepnsive product or service can build an image others may still be willing to buy.
Right, which is why the hydrogen Mirai has sold a few thousand examples.

Obviously progress requires change, but most new ideas are terrible. I'm not saying everything new is a failure, just the vast majority. After enough time, it becomes more obvious which of the new things has more potential.

H2 looks pretty dead from my understanding. Even with super cheap H2 from natural gas, it isn't widely adopted for transportation. How much less popular would it be if the fuel came from more expensive renewables?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!