View Single Post
Old 10-27-2021, 12:30 PM   #384 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
freshwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Arent they different systems or are you making the assertion that they are somehow interrelated by snowfall? Afaik, the sierra rivers generally go west the rockies generally go south or east
I was trying to emphasize the regional variability and conditionality of climate effects.
California has been in a drought for 22-years now. The climate-related ocean evaporation-induced, record atmospheric river, which just swept through off the Pacific, might have provided some wildfire relief, agricultural relief, and some well-needed snowpack, as 'stored water' reservoir.
However, above-'normal' temperatures can jeopardize the amount of residence time the snowpack can survive in the mountains. If the heat melts it early, rivers may carry it to the sea before farmers can get any good out of it.
Aquifers are already stressed. There is no hydrological recharge. Those with wells have to go deeper to find the water level. The ground is subsiding as ground water is pumped out.
Hotter temps and higher winds accelerate reservoir evaporation rates.
There's now a black market for illegal water sales to, illegal marijuana farms, which if caught, face penalties which are just a fraction of the $-billions they make in profits.
The whole situation is just FUBAR.
So go ahead. Fly to Glasgow, Scotland. Burn 100,000-gallons of JET-A, while you attend your COP-( out ) 26, and promise how your going to go to net-zero carbon. FUBAR- squared!
Okay, I took my Lithium and Xanax, and am feeling much better now.