View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Stan
EcoModding Apprentice

Silver Bullet - '02 VW Golf TDi
Good stuff, Ben...thanks!

Having had a lot of bikes over the years (I got my first m/c 39 years ago), and restored or modified a number of vehicles, I'd like to stress a couple of points Ben made.

First, GET A TITLE! A title-less vehicle can be a nightmare to register in many States. Wisconsin appears to be fairly accommodating, but in many States it borders on the impossible. If the seller tells you he lost the title, simply ask him to get a replacement from DMV. In every State it is far easier for him to do so than the buyer. If he won't or can't, keep looking for another bike.

Ben laments the sad state of the wiring harness on the bike he bought, and how much work it took to fix it, so here's my advice. Buy a bike that runs! You can check and confirm the condition of every component of a running bike (wiring, brakes, instruments, etc.), but are taking a real crap-shoot with one that doesn't. A running engine (even if thoroughly worn out) has some residual value, but one that does not run at all is near-worthless scrap. Recoup some of the extra cost of a running bike by selling what you don't need on ebay or craigslist. It'll be worth it in the long run.

Thanks again, Ben!