View Single Post
Old 10-30-2021, 05:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,068 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Terrible name if that's an actual name.

I also don't understand how heat pumps are more efficient unless it's just because they are slower and less effective. I can see they might be simpler but in extreme heat or extreme cold historically they struggle to give you the rapid final temperature you really want. I can see lots of owners in Phoenix complaining the AC doesn't feel as cold and people in Montana saying the heater stinks. Maybe they have gotten much better with them, but then I have to ask, why aren't they more common in new construction homes in those areas? Seems like they are a more mild climate solution to heating and cooling.
Heat pumps are more efficient because they use the phase change of a gas to move heat.

I switched my current house from a natural gas furnace to a heat pump. Super efficient and rated down to -10F and it doesn't have a back-up resistance heater. We've had no problems so far in 6 years. It worked fine when we hit temperatures of 115F this year.

Our other houses had older style heat pumps with resistant heater backups for temperatures below freezing.

Last edited by JSH; 10-30-2021 at 09:56 PM..