View Single Post
Old 10-30-2021, 10:29 PM   #65 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,134 Times in 1,445 Posts
I looked at 3 Ford Escape Hybrids today.

The first was promising - 2006 with 102K miles. When I showed up to look at it the dealer said it came from a government auction and the CARFAX showed complete service records at a Bend Ford Dealer. However, when I took it for a spin it was gutless. It would barely accelerate above 55 mph. The gauge that shows electric and regen barely moved. It would switch back to EV mode but the engine kicked on after about 100 yards of driving. My research tells me a Escape Hybrid with a healthy battery will go 1 mile on flat ground at 25 mph. A closer look at the maintenance records show that it was driven about 10K miles per year until 2015 / 93K miles. No records after and it has 103K miles today. The dealer had to replace the power steering so I suspect that somewhere are 2016 the power steering failed and it sat for 5 years until it was sent to auction. The battery likely fully discharged and sat - killing it.

The 2nd was a 2005 with 230K miles. I wasn't actually interested in it but I wanted to drive another Hybrid to determine if the assist gauge movement was a good indicator and if all of the Escape Hybrids are gutless. This car was shot - loud clunks from the suspension but it did drive. I jumped on the highway at it accelerated faster from 70 to 80 than the 1st Escape did from 50 to 60. The assist gauge moved more than the 1st but still not more that 25% either way and in engine never shut off the whole drive - even sitting at lights.

The 3rd was at the same lot as the 2nd. 150K miles with leather interior. A look inside showed seats held together with duct tape - Nope.

All in all a good day and I learned some things. The Escape Hybrid will do what we want - now I just have to find a good one. My wife was not impressed the the old-school nature of the early Escapes. She requires Bluetooth or at least AUX in so she can listen to podcasts on the way to work. I may take a look at some of the 2008 - 2012 models. They aren't much more expensive and lower mile examples are easier to find.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (10-30-2021)