View Single Post
Old 10-30-2021, 11:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
The post orifice could use electric vehicle for all but their most rual of routes.
The post office owns the small package business. Anything tiny, like 1 pound and smaller can go first class mail and it is a great deal. Then anything that can be stuffed in their flat rate boxes is also an excellent deal.
Did you know a thousand fired 5.56 shell casings fit nicely in a large fat rate box?
For me I only have to go 3 miles to mail off non hazardous packages that will fit in a flat rate box as opposed to 20 miles to do UPS or fedex.
But if I'm sending out live ammo then I have to use ups or fedex, usps doesn't want to touch anything midly hazardous. Live ammo is so dangerous when in its in original packing you can check 11lb of it per bag when you fly.
The EVs themselves won't be the biggest cost, the cost will be in the infrastructure we need to add. We have about 75 trucks in a small outdoor parking lot that also serves as a 10 bay semi freight terminal. Each truck would need at least a 240 volt level 2 charger. Seems at a minimum carports would be needed but more likely a whole new garage. So 75 $40,000 trucks is only 3 million. We spent 1.5 million just on new security at out office 3 years ago. Basically just fencing that parking lot and installing keyed gates and doors everywhere. A new garage for 75 trucks with 3000+ amp electrical service would be 20 million easy for the building and anything central located in out town would be another 10 million for the lot to put it on.