View Single Post
Old 11-01-2021, 02:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
67-ls1
Eco Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
That's the line they try and feed everyone but it's just not true on the ground. We lose money on those cut rate deals it just doesn't show up in the books because they are still counting parcels as a fraction of the overall hours when in reality they are a majority of the hours. So without them we would yes have much less revenue but we would have even more less costs. Sure there would be less than 1/2 the people and you could close 1000s of facilities, but we would actually be self sufficient, just right sized for the job set out in the Constitution to do. Deliver mail.

Just charge by the ounce for everything, no presort deals, no volume deals, that's the way it was for 100 years+ and guess what, 100+ years of never in the red. Don't buy that prefunding mandate is to blame either. That isn't even being paid anymore and still we go deeper and deeper in debt every year. The first class mail volume has stabilized the last 5 years, the prefunding is over, and yet we lose more and more money every year. What's different? Parcel volumes are thru the roof and they don't pay their fair share of the actual workload.
Well as I stated in my post earlier, I agree that the discounts to the big three are too steep. They need to pay more.
But I don’t agree that going back to just 1st class mail would cut enough costs to make the service viable. They still need to be able to go to every
address every day.
Some combination of the higher wholesale prices for packages (which would in itself cut volume) and attracting the retail side of the shipping (where the money is) could help.
Irregardless, it’s still a perfect application for EVs.
aerohead (11-17-2021)