View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
elhigh -

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Mother Earth News magazine did this in the 80's. First they reviewed a guy who'd done it with an Opel GT (!?), then they did their own using a Subaru glider and a Lombardini compact diesel. I think they used a serial-hybrid system, so it could roll all-electric for a limited distance or run essentially unlimited with the ICE running.

I found on the Web one fine day, just wandering around, Mr. Sharkey. I'm not sure who this guy is, but he's got a converted Volkswagen Rabbit which is fine for around town, and a pusher trailer made from the front end of a Rabbit Diesel. It's funny, it looks like he's being tailgated. It's a long but fascinating read.
It still seems a bit vague, but the Volt seems to be a series hybrid. Here are the ideal definitions :

HowStuffWorks "Gasoline-electric Hybrid Structure"
Quote:

You can combine the two power sources found in a hybrid car in different ways. One way, known as a parallel hybrid, has a fuel tank that supplies gasoline to the engine and a set of batteries that supplies power to the electric motor. Both the engine and the electric motor can turn the transmission at the same time, and the transmission then turns the wheels.

By contrast, in a series hybrid (below), the gasoline engine turns a generator, and the generator can either charge the batteries or power an electric motor that drives the transmission. Thus, the gasoline engine never directly powers the vehicle.

The good thing about the series hybrid is that you can optimize the engine for *one* RPM. This helps engine efficiency and emissions.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society