View Single Post
Old 11-11-2021, 12:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
Golden Ears
EcoModding Lurker

It’s so strange to revive this thread but I’ve got to tell you my experience with the K car.

This guy, Mr. Larsen, worked for Lowrance GPS as the financial controller. Certainly the cheapest man I’ve ever met. He would buy his eyeglasses at flea markets just by trying them on until he could see better. He had lawn furniture from the 1960s, that tubular rubber stuff.

But I got to give him credit.

He had a Dodge K car.

When I asked him why he bought the car he said the purchasing criteria was the most expensive part for the car in the parts catalog was $150. amazing. And he could go to the junkyard and find an endless supply of parts and the car was so simple with virtually no computers anyone could work on it with a minimal of tools.

I couldn’t stand the thing, but it was front wheel drive so it could Handle New England winter. If you wanted the windshield wipers to work you had to cross two wires together.

He retarded the timing on the car or so he said, as a result the car struggled just to go 60 miles an hour. But there was a method to his madness.

The car got over 50 mpg even in a headwind.

And as a penniless snowboarder without a job in 1992, that was pretty appealing.

7 hours of driving for a 375 mile round trip from Wayland Massachusetts to Sunday River in Bethel Maine .

We did it on $6 of gas. Maybe we shorted him a gallon but we had to make the gas gauge match and the car was always on empty .

We named the car “ sipper” because it barely sipped gasoline .