View Single Post
Old 11-12-2021, 08:23 PM   #54 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Traditionally, the synchros look burnt or obviously worn, so if you looked, there was probably nothing major amiss. AFAIK, thrashing a synchro only takes about 5 minutes of goofy driving, even on a brand new one. Once they get hot enough to refine the lube oil, they are done. Ask me how I know.
I did have the trans apart before installation to replace the input shaft bearing and inspect it and I did not see anything obviously wrong, none of the synchros were noticeably discolored. But I don't know that much about transmissions, so I didn't really know what specifically I was looking for. I didn't take the shafts apart either, I just took them out to get to the input shaft bearing.

I don't doubt that ruining a transmission within minutes is possible but I really don't see how I could have worn it out that quickly, I'm not at all an abusive driver. The only unconventional thing I do is shift in and out of 5th gear frequently, but as I said I always raise the RPM to where it needs to be before shifting back into gear to prevent synchro wear. For all I know this trans may have been that way since I got it. Not sure since I normally don't shift back into gear without first blipping the throttle.