View Single Post
Old 11-13-2021, 12:06 PM   #56 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Has nothing to do with babying between gears, but everything to do with dissipated heat energy. Take a piece of brass, heat it up to some high temperature, drop it in a cooling oil. Does it cool immediately? Nope. While its still hot, repeat process.

They synchros get hot, that gear speed matching energy has to go somewhere like the attached parts or the oil. What we used to call crash shifting means you have to speed up or slow down the entire gear set and shaft perhaps the clutch disc also.

If your process was harmless......we wouldn't need to have this conversation. Ever buy a commuter car with hard to get into first or reverse issues? Ever notice a commuter car has dirty trans oil?
That makes sense, thanks for explaining! The only doubt I have with that explanation is that since I always manually match the gear speeds to within 100 RPM or so before going back into gear, the synchros shouldn't be having to do that much work I wouldn't think? Normal gear shifts force the synchros to match many times larger speed differences than that all the time.