View Single Post
Old 11-13-2021, 04:34 PM   #58 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
That is why I thought they were bad when you had it apart.

Bit of better advice: 20 years ago chevy was having problems with newbies burning up their new to them manual trans pick ups. They have a pretty expensive fluid exactly for this problem, but it isn't ECO thin. Might get a couple quarts and try it.

I have found the only way to not fry synchros is to no clutch shift and allow the shafts to speed adjust with throttle and no more than extremely light shifter pressure. If it doesn't go easy it ain't right yet. Doesn't respond to quick shifting but I can get 400,000 miles out of a tranny. Takes me about a year to learn the car and makes my wife crazy. Double win.
I use the Amsoil Synchromesh fluid. At nearly $20 a quart it's pricey but fortunately I only need 2. From the testing I have done, it seems to be about the same viscosity as OEM Honda fluid when cold but a bit thicker when hot.

Interesting suggestion, I always thought floating gears was hard on synchronized transmissions and mostly only a viable option for unsynchronized transmissions. I don't intentionally float gears, but one time I forgot to use the clutch shifting from neutral into 5th gear and it slid in no problem.