View Single Post
Old 11-16-2021, 12:20 AM   #54 (permalink)
The Toecutter
Master EcoModder

Rebellion - '16 KMX Framekit Custom electric velomobile
Regarding the custom build, some months back I added in a second Greenway 15.6AH pack in parallel. I made a custom battery housing out of coroplast so that I can continue mounting the batteries below the front boom, and the box extends almost 1 foot ahead of the bottom bracket. I'm now getting a 150-200 mile range at 30-35 mph on a 1.5 kWh pack. The total weight of the vehicle is 90 lbs unladen.

I adjusted the max power setting to 2,500W. I've owned cars that were slower than this thing from 0-25 mph. 0-30 mph took about 6 seconds with hard full-effort pedaling, so there may have been about 3,200W total going to the drive wheel(CA3 said I was pedaling with 722W). I was able to do 45 mph up a moderate-grade hill on this setting, same as it can do on flat ground.

It feels deceptively stable at top speed: my Avid BB7 cable pull brakes are really at their safe/reliable limit for a predictable panic stop around 35 mph, even though I have panic stopped from much higher speeds(and it was quite harrowing to do so). I have a hydraulic brake system in my possession that is uninstalled, because I need to make a fluid reservoir for it since the stock one is woefully insufficient for the job, considering I'm not a fan of melting the brake lines from boiling brake fluid.

I am really looking forward to a much more powerful 72V/3T wind setup with full suspension, hydraulic brakes, sturdier tires/wheels, and a significantly more streamlined body shell. Right now, it's kind of dangerous. 35 mph is roughly the maximum safe cruising speed, even though it's capable of going faster.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Toecutter For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-22-2021), Ecky (11-16-2021), freebeard (11-16-2021), samwichse (11-16-2021)