View Single Post
Old 11-17-2021, 01:34 PM   #97 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,134 Times in 1,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
The Bolt seems like an awesome vehicle, except they are not making them right now due to car fires. This is quite a bummer as ALL Bolt owners are being told to not park in a garage or near any other cars and not charging to 100% as GM hasn't figured out a solution yet. So sadly, if you buy a Bolt you are at risk of it just suddenly going up in flames. I'm not sure what the actual chances are, but it seems it doesn't matter what year of Bolt, they have the potential of spontaneously burning themselves down.
If I recall correctly there have been 13 battery fires worldwide out of 140K Bolts sold so that is a 1 in 10,769 chance. I'll take the risk.

GM does has a solution - they are replacing every Bolt battery pack. 2017 - 2019 get a complete new pack with 8% more range than the original and 2020 and later Bolts get new battery modules for their packs. The recall has started so I would say now is the time to buy when people are still worried about fires not after every Bolt has a shiny new battery installed.