View Single Post
Old 11-18-2021, 09:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
If it is totaled and Xist buys it from the insurance company he can do whatever he wants.
I have never been able to do whatever I want, but buying back my car and installing whatever available parts I choose--or none. Yes, hopefully.

Two anecdotal data points: My brother's SLP was involved in a crash where the driver at fault was airborne. Sadly, she didn't elaborate on that part of the story.

He got air, dudes!

They bought their 2005 Envoy for $5,000 and insurance paid them $7,300. They bought it back for $1,300 and use the wreck with frame damage to transport their baby without any repairs.

Another lady I have known for a couple of years hoped that insurance would write a check for their vehicle which was unreliable before sustaining front- and rear-end damage.

Insurance spent more than it was worth repairing it.

Why on Earth would they do that?!

My Camry was great. I would rather have her good-as-new again, but while I hate car shopping, I will happily accept a check for more than I paid. I will also happily buy back my car if I can make her like-new again and pocket money, but I am far more concerned with having a safe and usable car than making money, although not having a safe or usable car is wholly inconvenient!

Updates: My agent responded 6 minutes after I messaged him yesterday and I received a notification, but I didn't see it until I went to follow up this morning. He just asked for a ZIP code in Phoenix and I asked him to search near me first, giving him the 20 ZIPs that I found when the new agency hired me.
I also sent him a picture of my car immediately after the crash and asked if he wanted more.
He said that there aren't any other body shops in-network in all of the ZIPs I gave him, so I gave him the list for Mesa.
He then e-mailed me a list of 5 places in Scottsdale and Tempe, but none in Mesa, which is bigger.
Three are already open and the other 2 open at 8, so I am about to start calling.