View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 07:41 AM   #34 (permalink)
99metro
Master EcoModder

Wildfire - '96 Ford Bronco XL
90 day: 14.88 mpg (US)

Blackford - '96 Ford Bronco XLT
90 day: 20.26 mpg (US)

Y2k - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 73.98 mpg (US)

Redford V10 - '01 Ford F250 Lariat
90 day: 15.64 mpg (US)

FireFly - '00 Honda Insight DX
90 day: 69.43 mpg (US)

LittleRed - '00 Honda Insight
Turbine car:
Who Killed the Gas Turbine Car? : TreeHugger
Chrysler Turbine Car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gas turbine cogen versus Diesel Cogen? $$$$$ (installation and maintenance), weight, diesel has a bigger footprint, GT has a better power to weight ratio, emissions are better on the GT if steam or water injected, exhaust opacity. The largest diesels are in the 50mw range. Diesels are better for emergency backup power for telephone company buildings/hospitals or water treatment plants and not running as a cogen. Although small GTs like the Allisons 501K series can be used also in simple cycle (not cogen). I have seen 850kw Garretts used as cogens in colleges running 24/7. A lot of major industry businesses will run an aero or frame unit(s) for their own production or host site, and have an agreement with the utility to buy the extra electricity. Very seldom will anybody choose to build a diesel cogen. WAY too expensive. A LOT of marine vessels are going to Gas Turbines vice diesels due to their light weight and much better power to weight ratio, also ease of maintenance.
Worldwide | Main Menu

Getting a little off topic here - sorry folks.

I worked on a couple JFS turbines used to start a 2mw Allison gas turbine. They only last about 70 starts, then they are toast. Usually the compressor fails. That little turbine reminded me of the JFS (Jet Fuel Starter). I am primarily an LM6000 person these days, hanging out at a 5x2 the past 10 years. later