View Single Post
Old 11-21-2021, 04:43 PM   #59 (permalink)
MeteorGray
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I don't know why I try with someone who is being intentionally obtuse. Do you really not understand varying risk, or are you just trolling?

The reason jaywalking isn't a life in prison sentence is because the risk is very low. The calculus isn't a binary "risk exists" or "risk doesn't exist".

You can argue that riding a bicycle intoxicated should carry the same penalty as driving a 2-ton motorized vehicle, but you'd need to supply a better reason than "there's some risk". Failing to to signal is risky too, so why doesn't it also carry lengthy prison sentences for multiple infractions?

As an aside, bicyclists routinely disobey motor vehicle laws, such as not stopping at stop signs, and I never see them cited. Why do you think that is?

Let's try not hurling personal attacks, ok? Using logical arguments should not incite such responses.

Bicycles generally are allowed by law to operate on public roads and travel and otherwise interact with motor vehicles. As a consequence of this privilege, they are expected to follow all traffic laws. This includes laws against being out there with a load of booze under the belt because drunk bicyclists have the potential of causing death and destruction as I have already illustrated. If you disagree, that's ok. I respect that.

To further answer your points, about jaywalking, failing to signal and running stop signs, I could do so but it would take more room than it's worth, and I doubt very much you'd agree with me anyway. I'll just say that I'm sure that some tickets are given for all those offences.

As to why you never see bicyclists being ticketed for traffic infractions, I suppose it's because you aren't reading court records. I'm certain they are, but I will admit that in the current state of "defund the police" demands in the US while our cities burn, I'm sure such tickets are not being emphasized very much nowadays.

Again, I'm not intentionally being obtuse. I'm just trying to get and exchange information and express my point of view on topic that interest me. That's what I think these forums are for. If that is defined as trolling, then I don't understand the term.