View Single Post
Old 11-23-2021, 12:11 AM   #44 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Reunited with the car for the first time in a few months.

Fixed my electrical issues by adding a supercapacitor in parallel. It weighs only 150 grams or so. Now I can use cruise control again, and I got 25.5mpg on a slight uphill grade on a colder day than when I tested in the summer! (up from 23.5 with no oil cooler block off tape, factory tune) Unfortunately, the mpg is pretty bad before the oil warms up. I haven't gotten a chance to change the oil to thinner oil. I think later cars had a better ECU tune but I probably still picked up something like 0.5mpg with my laborious VVT/EGR fiddling.

Sadly, today I went to fuel up the car, and I had to add almost 8 gallons! I think I only drove maybe 70-80 miles since the last fill up, so not good Just letting this V8 idle guzzles down the fuel very quickly.

Ordered a custom fully floating brake rotor kit which I aim to install before the summer. I'm hoping this will help the car coast a little better, because the coast down is poor (though it may be my tires are underinflated, as I just remember it coasting much further last time I drove it). It'll also remove about 16lbs of unsprung mass and prevent any potential rotor warping issues if I take the car to a track.

Last edited by serialk11r; 11-23-2021 at 01:29 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
Ecky (11-23-2021)