View Single Post
Old 11-23-2021, 02:04 PM   #75 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I'll have to visit Europe one day, because I tend not to take an interest in places until I visit. I just wonder how a typical European family of 3 goes camping, for instance. Perhaps europeans leverage trailers much more than in the US, but the Mazda CX-5 is minimum utility for my family of 3. It barely accomplishes the tasks I routinely need it for. The Prius had even better utility, but alas that wasn't an option. My point though is that a Yaris or any sedan wouldn't be a good fit.
Yes, travel is an eye opening experience. Especially, when you have time to get to know people and sit and talk with them over time. My 4-5 trips to Europe per year visiting customers was great for that. Relationships are formed around a dining table.

As to camping in Europe. Hut to hut hiking is popular. Instead of carrying everything you need on your back you just carry a daypack and stop each night at a "hut" that has beds and someone to cook your meals. I haven't done it in Europe but we did some in Ecuador and it was great.

For car camping - light tow behind trailers are popular. Pretty much every vehicle has twice the towing rating in the EU compared to the US for the same vehicle. A lot of that is mandatory trailer brakes and reduced speed limits when towing. For RVs about the biggest you will find is what we call a B-plus in the USA and van based RVs rule.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (11-23-2021)