View Single Post
Old 11-23-2021, 08:44 PM   #80 (permalink)
Autobahnschleicher
Master EcoModder

Aerospyder - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Team Toyota
90 day: 41.98 mpg (US)

Simme - '83 IFA Simson Suhl S51
Motorcycle
90 day: 76.59 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
This is what I've been preaching for years.

People don't believe me when I tell them we get around fine in the winter with any 2WD vehicle (FWD or RWD) and a good set of tires. Friends will come up in an AWD monster of a vehicle to visit us in the winter and I'll offer to take them somewhere in my car and they'll automatically say, "wouldn't it be better to go in the truck so we don't get stuck?" as if I were new here (at least 6th generation Coloradan Mountain-man).

My wife, who was never around snow or ice until she married me, learned how to drive a stickshift the first year of our marriage. She drove around an old 1984 Toyota RWD pickup and then a FWD 1993 Mazda 323 and NEVER got stuck in either, ever. And her job had and still has her driving all over to many different locations, now in the 2013 Avalon. But most people must think I made that story up.
Even my RWD sports car has no issues at all in snow.
Even when I got surprised by by snow on summer tires in the mountains once, I had no issues.
However I did have to drive carefully as I did not expect my high performance summer tires to perform well at all under braking or cornering.
But then again, AWD doesn't help with braking or cornering either.

What happens with AWD trucks on improper tires and bad drives, has been seen in Texas not that long ago.
It's not a bad idea to visit an empty parking lot in snow for a little practice.
Many people seem to not know how to handle snow/ice and keep a car under controll and crash in snow due to that.