View Single Post
Old 11-24-2021, 12:08 AM   #83 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahnschleicher View Post
Even my RWD sports car has no issues at all in snow.
Even when I got surprised by by snow on summer tires in the mountains once, I had no issues.
However I did have to drive carefully as I did not expect my high performance summer tires to perform well at all under braking or cornering.
But then again, AWD doesn't help with braking or cornering either.

What happens with AWD trucks on improper tires and bad drives, has been seen in Texas not that long ago.
It's not a bad idea to visit an empty parking lot in snow for a little practice.
Many people seem to not know how to handle snow/ice and keep a car under controll and crash in snow due to that.
One time I was going through Texas in an ice storm that went on for about 120 miles of road. I went 25mph, and no faster, as did all the traffic. Then every once in a while a 4WD or AWD pickup or SUV would go flying by. When I started counting it seemed like every last one of them slid off the road further ahead, most flipped over. I counted 14 vehicles.

My philosophy is if you're not smart enough to keep from sliding off the road and getting stuck in the snow in a 2WD, you're better off stuck in the ditch and let a tow truck take you home. AWD or 4WD only helps if you have a long driveway you have to maintain yourself, or you have to visit someone with a long driveway they don't maintain in the winter. People get lazy and think it's in their best intrests to go get a tall 4WD vehicle with the best snow tires they can find so they don't have to clean the snow off their driveway. They don't stop and think that maybe some day they could gets stuck or have an emergency and need an ambulance, poilcecar or firetruck to make it to their house.