View Single Post
Old 11-24-2021, 05:37 PM   #111 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD

Van - '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Thanked 4,458 Times in 3,424 Posts
I plugged a tire almost exactly a year ago when I went Christmas tree hunting. It was in the snow, and was no big deal. It was easy to identify the stone that had punctured the worn tires, pry it out with pliers, plug (took 2 because of size of hole), and fill. There was hot chocolate in a thermos, so the whole thing was enjoyable.

If a puncture is severe enough that it loses air too quickly to complete the current trip, it's usually easily identifiable.

About the only threat I'm vulnerable to with no spare is sidewall damage. I've needed a spare only once in my lifetime, and that was after going airborne and landing sideways out in a farm field where the tire was pulled from the rim. I'm not 17 anymore, so a less likely problem going forward.

I almost signed up for AAA the other day when Napa was offering 25% off for members. Between that and a plug kit, I'd be comfortable.

Here's the 2 plugs I performed last weekend.

I thought the Segway might be leaking from my previous plug, but unsurprisingly it was a new puncture, and the previous plug was holding up fine.

Used a cordless drill on the truck tire since reaming the tiny hole was going slowly.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 11-24-2021 at 05:44 PM..