View Single Post
Old 12-07-2021, 11:18 PM   #85 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
It never seemed like GM ever acknowledged the reason for the problem. So yes, I could find out reading some magazine or looking it up on some website. By if I were a customer of GM, I'd preffer that GM tells me what's going on. It's the communication problem that I've heard Bolt owners complain about. It took months for GM to admit there was a problem, and never explained what that problem could be. And as far as I know, they still haven't.
Chevy has a webpage dedicated to the Bolt Recall:

https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/bolt-recall

That page says:

Quote:
What is the defect in recalled batteries?
The problem consists of two LG manufacturing defects (a torn anode tab and folded separator) that, in rare circumstances, can simultaneously present in a single battery cell in the LG battery module.
The actual recall notice is also pretty clear.

Quote:
GM Recall
N212343880

Recall Title:
High Voltage Battery May Melt or Burn

Recall Description:
General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2017-2018 model year Chevrolet Bolt EV vehicles. The high voltage batteries in these vehicles may pose a risk of fire when charged to full, or very close to full, capacity.

Repair Description:
Dealers will replace the lithium ion battery modules with new lithium ion battery modules as parts become available. Until the updated recall remedy is performed, customers should take the following interim steps:

1.Customers should, whether or not they received the current software update, return their vehicle to the 90% state of charge limitation using Hilltop Reserve mode. If customers are unable to successfully make these changes, or do not feel comfortable making these changes, we are asking them to visit their dealer to have these adjustments completed.

2.Additionally, we ask that customers charge their vehicle more frequently and avoid depleting their battery below approximately 70 miles (113km) of remaining range, where possible.

3.Out of an abundance of caution, customers should continue to park their vehicles outside immediately after charging and not leave their vehicles charging indoors overnight.

People are also confused because instead of reading the recall or GM's page (the myChevy app links to both) they read something online that doesn't apply to their VIN and then get frustrated when they call their Chevy dealership.

A good example of that is the new software for 2019 Bolts. It is ONLY for 2019 Bolts. GM's communication is clear about that and says it will roll out other model years at a later date and GM will notify owner when it is available for their car. However, that doesn't keep owners of other model years from calling their dealer, trying to get the new software, getting rejected, and then going online and complaining.

In both cases, the battery replacement and software update GM is clear: Owners will be notified when it is ready for their car. People just don't want to wait.

EDIT: Some people just like to complain. I just read a post on a Bolt forum where someone is complaining their VIN swap is taking too long because GM shut down Bolt production. (GM is swapping this guy's 2019 Bolt for a 2022 Bolt) Other people are complaining GM is making them choose to either take a buyback or get a new battery. They want to GM to swap the battery, let them drive it for awhile and then have GM buy the car back.

Last edited by JSH; 12-07-2021 at 11:29 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
3-Wheeler (12-23-2021), aerohead (12-13-2021), Isaac Zachary (12-08-2021), redpoint5 (12-07-2021)