View Single Post
Old 12-24-2021, 12:36 AM   #41 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post
Can you translate that to Miles and MPH and MPG??

Please.

Rich
Energy per mile can be derived from
EPM=½ × p x V² x Cd x A

You don't have to do the math. Just plug in the numbers here: https://ecomodder.com/forum/tool-aer...resistance.php

I couldn't find the Chevy Express's coefficient of drag nor it's frontal area. But the late model Chevy Astro, which is similar in shape, had a drag coefficient of .40 and a frontal area of 34.1 square ft. Of course the Express would have a bigger frontal area, but probably a better coefficient of drag, although probably not by much.

But just using those numbers and 6,000lbs weight and the other defaults (including a 22% efficient engine) and I got 20.3mpg at 60mph according to the calculation. Obviously you can mess with the numbers and get any result you want.

The point I was making is even if a Chevy Express gets 15mpg, there are vans that hold 15 passengers. That's 3 or nearly 4 Toyota Priuses (or Prii). So they'd need to get 45 or 60mpg to meet the same fuel mileage. But some are getting 30mpg in their (diesel) Chevy Express vans! You can get better in a Prius, but you can't haul as many people or as much stuff!