Thread: DIY heat pump??
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 08:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
duaneb9729
EcoModding Lurker

work truck s-10 - '99 chevorlet S 10
90 day: 23.64 mpg (US)

Heidis VW - '97 Volkswagon Jetta GLS
90 day: 20.54 mpg (US)
the expansion valve is a device that meters the flow of refriderant to allow for the maximum amount of cooling/humidity removal.

conradpdx, very little copper is involved in a in ground heat pump system, lots and lots of pex pipe is used for the transfer of heat from the ground to the heat pump.

i personaly have a carrier air to air heat pump, rated at a 16 on the seer rating scale and mated to a two stage variable speed 95% efficient furnace, this will be my first winter with a heat pump.

i have the controls set up to change over to the furnace at 30 degrees, air to air heat pumps are way better than they used to be. but still have a ways to go, i am experimenting at my own home, i am a heating and a/c contractor.

and as the technolgy improves we will move into the ground source heat pumps today it requires a very very large investment and so far would be a wonderful investment for the next home owner! but yes they do work

one of the troubles with converting a window unit to use as a heat pump, is what to do with the excess refriderant and installing the reversing valves and other electronic controls, a very expensive task and possible for an experianced heating person to do but with much effort.