View Single Post
Old 12-26-2021, 08:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
AviationMetalSmith
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
It was a lame attempt at a joke; which I won't explain. Sorry.

You could call it Coroplast Aided Design.
Non fungible tokens are cool.

Yes, eventually I would like to make the fairings in molded plastic, which would yield better results in terms of compound curves, especially at the edges but also putting a dome or crown on the flat surfaces.

Unfortunately this is not going to work well as an aftermarket item. This fairing only fits one make, model and size of bicycle, and I have installed BMX handlebars because I like an upright position.

Fiberglass is not an ideal choice for mass production either. I would like to use injection molded polyethylene, but I need a machine with 5 axis and 150 ton press.

Also I need to weld the frames or have the frames produced under contract by a bicycle company, with the needed brackets brazed on . Mass production is the only way to make a product inexpensive. (Edit: unless it’s made of Coroplast. But I don’t want to do that. I’d rather publish a DIY Guide.)

And there’s the difference between the touring version and the cargo version. The cargo version has the platform welded to the head tube, the touring version has a fairing on the handlebars.But the rear rack would have the option of being a Tailbox, panniers, or pannier/tailbox.

And there could be a laid-back or dropper seat post.

And I’m leaving room for a rain canopy.

Then there’s the LED lighting; which will cost more than the plastic it’s mounted on. And the solar panels need flat surfaces, so forget what I said about compound curves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FA1B9040-2980-46C7-881D-6184A178E30A.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	31492   Click image for larger version

Name:	5DA4102F-AB7E-4863-8004-6A95257A9096.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	31493  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AviationMetalSmith For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-21-2022), freebeard (12-26-2021)