Thread: Trucks and Snow
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2022, 10:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Assuming people are actually choosing to drive trucks in slippery conditions when they have the option of another vehicle with objectively better driving dynamics, my guess is because it makes them FEEL safer.
Ding, Ding, Ding - we have a winner.

My mom is one of them. My parents have a 2010 Prius with snow tires and a 2000 Silverado 4wd. If it snows my mom insists on them taking the truck because it has 4wd. I cannot convince her that she is way better off in the Prius that has airbags all around and modern stability control. I've driven their Prius in snow and it does great while the truck is a handful.

I live near Redpoint and it has snowed several times since Christmas eve - the most recent was New Year's Eve. New Years Day my wife and I went to Stub Steward State park for a hike in the morning before I had to head into work. Wednesday I had snow tires / wheels fitted to the Bolt and today was the first time I got to try them out. Stub Steward has a moderately steep and winding road up to the picnic areas. In Oregon we do not salt so the road was plowed but had thawed a bit and refrozen with a bit for fresh snow on top. Going up was fine - a bit a tire slip. Going down was fine too - for me.

However, we hit two traffic jams caused by unprepared drivers. The first was caused by a Kia Telluride AWD on stock all-seasons that couldn't make it up the road. They had to stop and put on snow chains in the middle of the road. The second traffic jam was from a Ram 1500 that was sliding down the slope out of control with the front wheels turned full-lock to the right AND with the front brakes locked. He got stopped just barely before hitting the guard rail.

SNOW TIRES - if you live where it snows buy SNOW TIRES!