Thread: Wind Power
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 01:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
conradpdx
EcoModding Lurker

the Mule - '99 Dodge Dakota
90 day: 14.54 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterAlex View Post
With a windmill like that you wouldn't get more than 100% efficiency if it was always running, if you could find a way to make it not drag when you are cruising or accelerating and only spin while slowing down or while the car is off (pretty much anytime you aren't using the battery) it could work. I saw a video of a new type of windmill that looks promising and you might be able to put it on the bottom of your car and actually get more energy while driving than you are spending if the conditions are right.

I can't find the link to the video but it was basically just a sting that had magnets on the end that would vibrate up and down when wind was blown on it (like if you take a piece of string and blow on it the string will go up and down). As it blows up and down the magnets produce a charge with copper coils.

Yeah I've seen that video too, problem is that the magnet on a string trick produces very minimal power (less than an amp/hour), even in a strong wind. I doubt it'd be consistent enough to do anything. Not to mention the drag of vibrating strings or the sound it'd cause when encased or near a hollow shell (think one note guitar).

Id did find the concept interesting, but I don't think it'll amount to much. Too many variables. And if it was even remotely practical I'm sure the inventor would at least be working with NATO or some international charity to field test it. After all it's only a magnet on a string with a couple copper washers secured next to it.

<edit> As to the whole concept you also gotta remember that windmills generate a lot of turbulence, and the big ones are suspects in even causing noticeable effects on the local weather.

I doubt it'd even work while coasting in that it'll probably slow you down considerably faster than you'd normally coast which would thus lessen the effects of regenerative braking. At best you'd maybe break even.

If we can't be free, at least we can be cheap"--- Again F. Zappa

My guilty little pleasure

Last edited by conradpdx; 10-09-2008 at 01:40 AM..