View Single Post
Old 01-13-2022, 04:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Maybe where you live you couldn't do better than existing bakeries, but around here we just have Safeway, and Safeway hardly had any fresh bread for a while because they don't make their own dough, so how fresh is it?

Walmart is much further away, I rarely like their baked goods as much as Safeway, and they do not even make bagels, the main fresh bread product we buy regularly.

Basha's is half an hour away and does sell bagels, but not with sesame seeds, which are my brother's favorite.

I actually looked up a recipe and bought the ingredients, but Safeway finally got their dough and started making bagels, although there is no guarantee that we will always be able to find some.

I worked in a bakery for a couple of months and got to the point where I saw the order for x batches of wheat, y batches of white, z batches of mixed, and then Dr. Seuss letters of other loaves we made each morning. I knew exactly how many pounds of which ingredient we needed, threw everything into the mixer, then into proofing bins which are indistinguishable from white garbage cans.

Then the rest of the bakers showed up when it was time to divide the dough, put it in pans, and bake it.

It doesn't take long to learn how to professionally bake bread. I did it. My problem was my pesky memory. Twice I forgot some ingredient and the dough didn't rise, which meant that when people came in asking for it we needed to ask them to return later.

I always try to learn from my mistakes and I realized that I could just glance into the mixer before running it, verify that I had sugar, salt, flour, yeast, and whatever else, and I was good to go, but I wasn't given a third strike.

I wasn't given a chance to have a third strike and Boss only had me open so he didn't need to wake up early. Nobody liked me and nobody wanted me there. He laid me off, except despite having been a manager for 10 years, he wasn't man enough to actually do it, so I needed to say it for him.

I don't know that there is room for a bakery in your area. Mine has room for improvement, but bakeries have come and gone. I don't know why. Was it supply and demand, advertising, salesmanship, or something else?

I read about a bakery that closed down just because the owner had health problems.

Was Baker a better baker than other bakers in the area?

I don't have any idea, but he made tons of mistakes, and his wife was terrible at business and with people, didn't recognize any of her own faults, and insisted on being in charge of everything.

After I was laid off I went to an established and well-known bakery a mile away and they had five times the variety on the shelf, but also sold sandwiches and other meals.

I don't have any idea how Baker stayed in business. He kept saying that he was losing money and I was doing everything I could on my own time to keep him from overworking himself, but apparently they are still around, and now they are making sandwiches.

Maybe he wasn't the best baker in the area, but he probably believed he was, and I think that more than anything he wanted to bake, so if that is what you want to do, and you find the right people to help you start your business right, there is no reason that you couldn't do all right.

I am sure that most places that could support a bakery already have one, but how accessible are tiny houses?

If I wanted one, would I find a lot and order a kit, a shed kit that I convert into a cabin or what?

How would I finance it?

I don't know how much demand there is for tiny houses, just that there is a great deal of room for improvement.

My client connected almost 20 minutes early or I would edit that more.