View Single Post
Old 01-20-2022, 02:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
guts, 29 mpg, traction

Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post
1) Consider that the billions Ford spent on EcoBoost adds 0.5-mpg on the highway.

From what I have read, it is a tiny engine running a turbo and had no guts as in torque.

2) The highest dividends you'll ever experience will come from load reduction, and aero is your major source of road load power requirement.
3) The experts will recommend that you cut drag, then re-gear to allow the engine operate within the same load 'island' of its BSFC map. Otherwise you can lose up to 70% of your streamlining potential.
4) Knowing the Cd and frontal area of the Ford and GM van is mandatory.

And yet Chevy has a bone stock Large Express Van that has a sticker that says 29MPG on it...kind blows the ITS A BOX cry out of the water, and their 3.8 Diesel model hauls cargo and also are claims or 28/32MPG.

5) The Beetle's a real dog. My Air Force roommate had a '68 and we never saw north of 28-mpg at 55-mph, whereas my 40-horse Karmann Ghia consistently returned 41-mpg at 70-mph.

The Karmann Ghia is a lower profile car, so IF areo really matters all that much that makes sense.

6) LRR tires ought to be on the mod list.

NEVER, I also drive in the real world, TRACTION is King, both in power take offs and even more important in STOPS.

I will give up a MPG or two to be able to panic stop at maximum than to skid into a accident.

Sadly wide traction tires are not all that great in bad weather like rain, ice and snow.

I do my best NOT to drive in such.

Rich
1) Aerostealth has a 2014 F-150 Crew Cab 4X4, 6.5-ft bed, and 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6, dual-turbo: 365-bhp, and 410-lb-ft of torque, actual 22-mpg at a constant 62-mph, level, calm, dry, West Texas. There are sport cars of the 1960s that it would embarrass. You'll thrill at your first test drive.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) 29 mpg 'Would' be impressive if it actually performed to that number. Do we have real world values for the van? Gasoline?
3) Diesel fuel has about 17% more Btu/gallon than gasoline, and overall, with a higher thermal efficiency, offer about 30% better mpg than gasoline.
4) We need to know the frontal area and drag coefficient of that 'box' in order to accomplish anything.
5) Yes, the Karmann-Ghia has a smaller frontal area AND lower drag coefficient, for a lower drag index.
6) As to 'traction', there are LRR tires with traction-A ratings, wet and dry. Corvettes will handle nearly the same skid-pad speeds on 'donut' spare tires. I believe it has to do with the compounding of the rubber, not the dimensions.