View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
CharlieBucket
EcoModding Lurker

new member-vintage ecomodder

hi-my name is Charlie and i am a car guy. i used to like fast cars that made tons of noise and burn high-octane fuel. well i'm 27 now and i still love cars but i tend to focus on reliablilty {fast cars break just as fast!} and fuel enonomy. well my newest car is a 1977 Datsun B210 "plus" {means 5-speed}.
it is kinda like the prius of the seventies. here is an old ad to help you see what i mean.

so lets just say i am not getting 50 mpg! i think testing was different in those days. i am only getting somewhere between 20-30 but i am still figuring out how carbs work and i am always adjusting it, which drasticly changes the mpg ratios. i am interesting in learning all your techniques as well as maybe talking to some folks with older cars about things to check out and maybe replace. i hope you guys don't mind pictures because i love posting them. here is my car and it's 1.4 liter a14 engine.

this post is getting quite large, but i have a lot to ask you guys. i also have a 1998 Nissan Frontier pick-up, 4cyl, 5speed. i supplement income by delivering pizza sometimes 2-3 nights a week. i use the pick-up, and i get dreadful milage. i'm talking like 12-13 miles a gallon. now pizza delivery is horrible for economy with stops and starts and since your always rushing, but would you guys say thats normal? the turck is rated at 22mpg city i believe, so i thought i'd get close to that. thanks, i look foward to searching all your post and learning everything i can.