Thread: Less Meat!
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 12:15 PM   #22 (permalink)
IndyIan
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
This is the kind of thing a non sadist might want to avoid:
dcb, do you know anything about bow hunting? taken a hunting course lately?
Shots like that aren't taken by a bow hunter, just because someone bought a bow(or gun) and some camo doesn't make them a hunter. I can't see how a legitimate lethal shot at a deer could end up like that...

The short story of my hunt is that I waited 10 or 15 minutes with the doe in range, eventually coming into 18 yards and waiting for it to turn broadside, and stop moving so I could make my best possible shot. It went 50 yrds, and dropped, and was dead in approximately 2 minutes. I'd think most hunters would be OK with that using any method.
I do think about the balance between lethality and giving the animal a sporting chance, bow hunting is a compromise that I'm good with. With bow hunting you have to take full responsibilty for your shot, its broadside vitals or nothing. I've watched quite few deer farther than 30 yrds or behind some light branches over the last 2 years without taking off the safety.
Its the hunters job to understand the limitations of their weapon, its just as easy to make stupid shots with slug gun, gut shot deer don't die fast no matter what you are using.
I find that we eat a bit less meat and appreciate it alot more now that we raise or hunt it ourselves. Meat in general isn't the problem, its how its raised, I like to back up that point of view when I can. I think people on this forum can understand and support this distinction.
Ian

Last edited by IndyIan; 10-09-2008 at 12:27 PM..