View Single Post
Old 01-23-2022, 02:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
400ft? That's WiFi range?

Steerable directional antenna. Some hold the lid of a Wok opposite to the direction desired. It has a handy knob.

Hardcore would be a Cantenna on a rifle stock.
I accept your challenge, though getting around to exceeding my previous best will be delayed, as are all my projects. Just to brag, I'll say those 400ft was accomplished in 2005 when Googling "wireless bridge" wouldn't have returned much, if anything. Grandfather had the deep pockets to afford DSL and the blazing fast 1.5 Mbps (900k up) speeds, while we were subjected to dial-up (33.6k was the fastest out in the sticks). That was motivation enough to figure out how to beam his signal to my parents house. Years later, we had access to [stupid] Wave broadband, which was way faster. So, I started beaming internet up to him. He gladly paid the whole cost in yearly installments to have the faster speed, as any advantage to win at IRC trivia was worthwhile. He just missed the solar eclipse, which was some time ago now, and I've been paying ever since. Nobody said a word at his funeral, which says something, but he was always straight with me and we had mutual respect and sometimes admiration for each other.

Back to the topic, WiFi range is only limited by physics and the imagination. Apparently 237 miles was achieved.

https://www.wired.com/2007/06/w-wifi...hacked%20parts

I'll be happy to break half a mile first. Ultimate goal is to bridge the 7 miles as a crow flies to my parents. Would at least make off-site backups more feasible and eliminate the appeal of the stupid "cloud". I want to be a quasi-island. It might take more than some fasteners and a Pringles can.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 01-23-2022 at 04:38 AM..