View Single Post
Old 01-24-2022, 10:50 AM   #88 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
same pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post
I use the following: A MPGunio, a ScanguageII and runs from Phoenix, AZ to Blythe, CA is 150 miles (241 km). a 02 hours 20 minutes drive by car.

So a fullup to three kick offs by the gas pump handle, and then doing the math.

A full test would be a round trip both ways and a return to the very same pump.

As I am only interested in broad strokes not each 1/10th of a MPG, more in rather I am seeing 5 to 15 MPG changes these are accurate enough for my needs.

Once I am sure my Two MPG gauges are reading close and just about the same as the road trip, I can do short runs up and down I17 near my home working to get a good improvement and if one really shows up, I can do the run from Phoenix, AZ to Blythe, CA to really prove it.

Rich
1) Same pump, parked in same direction, same day, same 3-clicks, may be as accurate as a consumer is likely to experience.
2) Fuel has a thermal expansion coefficient published by the API.
3) Some stations actually have temperature sensors for each storage tank. Just ask.
4) A 6-inch, long-stem, stainless steel thermometer can be placed right into the filler spout, holding the detent open, if you'll actually top-off the tank to a chosen visual reference mark.
5) This will give you some idea if the fuel temp has varied in volume from fill to fill. Especially with above-ground storage tanks.
6) Fuel delivered from a refinery will have residual process heat which could skew the 'volume.'( famous at Allsup's Convenience Store, Cloudcroft, New Mexico, delivery from Artesia, New Mexico's refinery )
7) A good reason why university teams use an auxiliary tank, of a known mass of fuel for all testing ( virtually impossible for us, since EFI has fuel continually returning to the tank from the common rail )
8) We do what we can.
freebeard (01-24-2022), Piotrsko (01-25-2022)