View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
02nbmvert
EcoModding Lurker

Rusty - '89 Geo Metro Lsi
New to site/89 metro 4dr 5spd

Hello everyone, I recently found my 89 Metro Lsi 4 door 5 speed after about 8 months of looking for an efficient reliable car to use for a courier job. It's got 160,000 miles on it with about 60k on the engine. Right after buying the car, I took it on a round trip of about 200 highway miles, filling the tank before I left and topping it off when I got back, and I apparently got 61.6mpg. I usually try to drive for gas mileage more than most (maybe not most on THIS forum) and I do draft larger vehicles occasionally, although I try to be safe about it (nothing like 1 car length from a big rig). On fill ups after that, with other drivers and mixed driving we're usually getting 42-45mpg. I've tried some little things like oil change/spark plugs/air filter/airing up tires but it seems, from what I'm hearing, that we should be averaging closer to 50mpg with a mix of about 70% highway. I think there may be a problem with the PCV valve, it seems like it's letting a bit of oil into the plastic air filter housing. I'd appreciate any suggestions to help get my FE back up to par, as cheaply as possible. I'm unfortunately on a very tight budget right now due to an injury that has me out of work. Thanks everybody! glad to be part of the site!

- Joe