View Single Post
Old 01-26-2022, 04:36 AM   #7354 (permalink)
mpgmike
EcoModding Apprentice

To answer, I could design the PCB using ExpressPCB; I work with PIC MCUs and could replicate the dsPIC software functionality on a newer dsPIC33EVxxGM (of course it'd be easier to copy/paste Paul's); I don't like the high-side switching concept and would prefer low-side switching, especially in light of the SiC N-MOSFETs that weren't available when Paul got started on the project. Overall, I'd probably make some of the same stupid mistakes Paul made getting to where he got it, but ... I'm confident.

I have other ideas. I have a toy brushed DC motor on my bench I've been playing with. I also have a small stepper motor, and a BLDC to learn with. Ultimately, I'd like to create a controller that allows an automotive alternator to be controlled as a motor. This would require removal of the diode bridge, and if applicable, the voltage regulator. The Field would be PWM controlled as its own entity, and the 3 windings would be controlled like an inductive AC motor.

Considering a Ford F-250 Diesel alternator is rated around 200 amps (at 12 volts), this could be a potent go-kart motivater!