View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
BlackDeuceCoupe
CAUTION: May Stink!!!

BDC's Honda CiViC HX/Si - '98 Honda CiViC HX/Si (HX Shell/Si Swap)
90 day: 40.56 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via AIM to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via MSN to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via Yahoo to BlackDeuceCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Man View Post
People argue that you can run synthetic at longer change intervals which I guess is true...
Heh! That would be me...

I run Mobil 1 10W/30 oil and Purolator PureONE filter in my little rice rocket.

I was looking at my odometer last night, and I think I've gone 10,000-11,000 since the last change - guess I better get out there and do it. Never burns a drop between changes, BTW...

------------------------------

EDIT [14-Oct-2008]

For the sake of accuracy...

I just changed my oil - 9535 miles - was approx. 1/2 qt low.

------------------------------

Honda recommends 7,500 on mineral oil - no recommendation on synthetic - so, I *know* I can go at least 7,500 miles. 10,000-20,000 is pushing it, IMHO! If you decide to go that long, you better be doing some periodic oil analysis!

The oil filter seems to be the qualifier, not the oil...

For instance, there is no way a Fram filter - which is typically made of cardboard and glue - will last that long! Get a GOOD long-lasting filter!

Anyway, my recommendation is to go with Mobil 1 oil and a Purolator PureONE filter. Any Mobil 1 viscosity will work in any car made, anywhere in North America, any time of year, but you should stick to what the manufacturer recommends - unless you *think* you know more than them...

Last edited by BlackDeuceCoupe; 10-14-2008 at 04:28 PM..