View Single Post
Old 01-29-2022, 07:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
beate
HPV Tussie

Aerodynamic aspects of an old GoOne 3 velomobile

Well, as already mentioned, this thread is on my old GoOne3 and a discussion on possibilities for aerodynamic improvements.

This vehicle:

It is actually an iconic design, after meanwhile more than 20 years still appealing to many people, and its most characteristic feature possibly is also its largest aerodynamic drawback: the free standing back wheel, and the resulting huge wake. The bike is roughly as fast as a race bike. Which translates into a Cd estimate of roughly 0.37 using a reasonable estimate on front surface (and the Kreuzotter calculator).

Before i come to my attempts on my bike a few pics of successful modifications:

a) race trim by Daniel Fenn

b) back closed successfully

The last bike is younger than mine and has an improved stiffness in the back. Such a tightly fitting back cover is impossible on my bike.

The 1st bike has originally been quite similar to mine (same year) except for

Please note the work Daniel Fenn has done to the wheel cases, the foot holes, the canopy (must have been closed originally), and the large hole in the top of the back plate.

Similar holes can often be found in GoOnes with a closed canopy:

So far as an introduction.
Pleas note that i do not want to concentrate on just closing the back - this is obvious, and i will show You my 1st attempts later one, but to all the other issues and to possible alternatives to closing the back but leaving the design idea intact.

Last edited by beate; 01-29-2022 at 08:04 PM..