View Single Post
Old 01-30-2022, 07:22 PM   #7362 (permalink)
mpgmike
EcoModding Apprentice

Oh, and a few things I'd do differently:

1) I like the Nextion touch screen displays. That could be mounted in the dash somewhere and provide active feedback and tuning capabilities on a rather permanent basis.

2) For more technical set-up, I'd probably use a laptop dashboard and communicate via USB. I've had about as much luck with USB-UART converters as many others on this forum -- not so great. So I go USB direct (lots of extra software, but it works!) This would allow certain features to be enabled or disabled, and limits set for those that are enabled. Setting up throttle range could be prompt-based, "Release Throttle and Click OK", "Depress Throttle to the Floor and Click OK" type stuff.

3) Several of the projects I've worked on utilize Adaptive Strategies. In other words, you have to set specific targets, but the variables that achieve those targets can automatically adapt to real-world conditions. I have developed a few projects where the goal was to minimize user input for safety and user experience.

4) I would want the BMS to be integral with the Drive Controller. To me it has to be integral. Charge level determines when to initiate the "Safe Operating Range" conditions. The only way to know that is with the BMS at least communicating with the Drive Controller. I would put it all on the same Controller PCB.

I have also been following some projects on OpenInverter.org where their focus is adapting junkyard parts for EV conversions. When Paul started this project, there simply weren't junk yard parts available. I'm interested in the possibility of being able to incorporate junkyard Toyota/Nissan/Lexus/BMW... parts in an EV conversion without having to retrofit the whole system. OpeInverter.org has open-source controllers to replace factory control boards that require a CAN signal from the ABS Module before activating the motor (among other things). I like that.

I'm still exploring, and don't want to commit to a project I can't even test yet. I have ideas, but don't know enough yet to make them all reality. Meanwhile, I intend to share other insights I've learned over the years regarding fuel economy on ICE applications. I was involved with the Progressive Automotive 100 MPGe X-Prize competition back in 2010 and we got an unofficial 87 MPG and an official 44.7 MPG (certified by Roush Labs) on a 2008 Hyundai Sonata with a window sticker of 32 MPG.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sonata1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	31642