View Single Post
Old 01-30-2022, 07:49 PM   #73 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

I tried engine off coasting for the first time today and didn't see any MPG gains. My average for today was 49.2 MPG which is typical for my daily 50 mile commute. I don't like the way the transmission feels going back into gear with the engine off either. Instead of effortlessly sliding into gear like when the RPMs are matched, it resists for a second while the synchros speed up the input shaft/clutch similar to how downshifting from 5th to 2nd at 45+ MPH without doubling clutching feels. I can't see how repeatedly doing this every day wouldn't take its toll on the transmission over the years so I'll stick to leaving the engine idling when I coast.

For the sake of discussion, what is the best way do go back into gear from 0 RPM while in motion to minimize synchronizer wear? Is it better to use light pressure over a longer period of time until it goes in or is it better to use a little force to quickly get it back into gear to minimize the amount of time the synchros are slipping for? I suspect the best compromise would be to use a moderate amount of force to get back into gear relatively quickly but without jamming it in?