View Single Post
Old 02-07-2022, 06:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Without a cannibalistic, powered, high-static pressure air-handler, there's a high probability that air will simply flow forwards, from the wake, to the 'inlet.'
To move air passively you'd need a Bauman scoop to harvest stagnation pressure, and the act of harvesting stagnation pressure would increase underbody drag.
The ductwork itself would amplify surface friction, compared to just letting the air flow to the rear along a belly pan, and slow diffuser.
Nothing's been done for pressure regain, which is the ONLY thing that WILL reduce drag.
The Aero Tube is the stuff of the Unicorn Corral.
Just sayin'.
For less than $100, you can measure pressure anywhere you want on the car instead of just guessing. That helps with stuff like, oh, maybe siting duct inlets and outlets so air flows through them the direction you want.*

I wouldn't try what OP is suggesting, but if he wants to the tools are available to measure things.

(*For example, I vented my engine bay to my wheel housings last year. But before I cut and installed a vent, I measured the pressure differential between the engine bay-side and wheel-side to ensure air would flow out of the bay and not backwards into it. No guessing required).
The Following User Says Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-18-2022)