View Single Post
Old 02-08-2022, 03:25 PM   #34 (permalink)
beate
HPV Tussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Looking at #17, I wonder if the flexure is side-to-side or twisting.
It seems to be mostly twisting.

Quote:
The two possibilities I see are truncating the shell at the axle line and letting the wheel protrude,
Which is what i did and now would like to improve. Learning more on some details ist the main intention of this thread.

Quote:
or adding skirts to the arm that would both stiffen it and clean things up around the derailleur.
The arms have already been stiffened, but not against torsion. I'm going to renew the during the year.

Quote:
I also wonder if adding a countermass ahead of the pivot point would act as a harmonic damper and affect the ride. ....but that's another matter.
No need for any effort - despite the stiffness issues it rides pretty well. Body stiffness is in general a big topic with most of the old velomobiles, and it pretty difficult to improve it without adding too much weight.
You actually need to compensate by removing mass wherever possible (there are some fairly easy possibilities: pedals, back wheel, back suspension strut have already been done, remaining: seat and a little bit of work on the front suspension is still in the pipeline.)
The Following User Says Thank You to beate For This Useful Post:
freebeard (02-08-2022)