View Single Post
Old 02-10-2022, 11:31 AM   #17 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
wouldn't try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
For less than $100, you can measure pressure anywhere you want on the car instead of just guessing. That helps with stuff like, oh, maybe siting duct inlets and outlets so air flows through them the direction you want.*

I wouldn't try what OP is suggesting, but if he wants to the tools are available to measure things.

(*For example, I vented my engine bay to my wheel housings last year. But before I cut and installed a vent, I measured the pressure differential between the engine bay-side and wheel-side to ensure air would flow out of the bay and not backwards into it. No guessing required).
1) Of course! The Chevrolet Tahoe is a magical vehicle which behaves as a one-dimensional structure.
2) The Tahoe doesn't experience any flow field displacement, accelerations, or pressure variability.
3) When you use your new Pitot-tube and MAGNEHELIC you'll notice that the pressure under the Tahoe, where you're considering your duct inlet, is identical to the forward stagnation point. 'cause it's magic!
4) And now that you have your delta-P, this will immediately inform you of the perfect design of the ductwork itself, plus, accurately predict its new pressure profile, in advance of modification.
5) Presto-chango!
6) It doesn't matter that CAR and DRIVER attempted this type of modification on a DODGE van in the 1970s, only too experience a drag and MPG penalty. Don't let that discourage you. Obviously, DODGE vans operate under different fluid dynamic constraints as Tahoes. And Csere Csaba, an MIT graduate engineer, who oversaw measuring at the Chrysler Proving Grounds, couldn't possibly be trusted for accuracy.
7) It doesn't matter that when I attempted this sort of modification at Bonneville, I experienced a drag and top speed penalty, and then set a land speed record when I covered it up with duct tape and cardboard.
8) But hey, that was only with FIA' officially-sanctioned, Southern California Timing Association measurements, of four decimal point accuracy.
9) Certainly, your measuring techniques will be far more accurate.
10) It doesn't matter that no individual has benefited from a 'ducted' automobile body in the history of automobiles, VMAN455's measuring will carry the day.
11) So go ahead. Take a plasma-cutter and Milwaukee Sawzall to the Chevy.
12) Maybe splurge for a 120-channel data-logger, 120 static pressure ports, and ten miles of Tygon Tubing while your at it.
13) VMAN455 has an illustrious history of mpg and speed records under his belt. He won't disappoint.