View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 10:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
ChrstphrR
EcoModding Apprentice

Schwartzejetta - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI GL
90 day: 52.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpfork View Post
Thanks for the info ChrstphrR.
Can you tell me a bit more about " off-throttle coasting down stops, or down inclines"? I assume this means leaving the clutch engaged and letting off the throttle. I'll search for diesel driving tip threads for more relevant info my TDI.
I haven't looked in my driver's manual to see if it mentioned this tidbit -- it's something I'd picked up reading at TDIclub's forums years ago, when researching the TDI diesel when I was looking for a newish car.

This is one of many from that forum that give a bit of a description about the phenomenon, without being overly technical.
Please explain how my car uses NO fuel while in gear coasting downhill?? - TDIClub Forums

Synopsis: When coasting down In Gear, not neutral nor with the clutch depressed, the engine computer knows to shut off the fuel flow, as long as the engine speed is above 1200 rpm. While in gear, the momentum of the car moving / the drivetrain/transmission spinning is enough to keep the engine moving, until that 1200rpm point.

Not to detract from this forum in the least, but since you do have a TDI, make sure you use that resource too, if you haven't already. Like Ecomodder, it has a pretty knowledgable and welcoming community... and close to 10 years of information about our particular car and engine type. Since both car and engine maintenance are pillars of good fuel economy, it's good to use the tools available to help you achieve better fuel economy.