View Single Post
Old 02-16-2022, 01:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,597 Times in 7,080 Posts
Quote:
I'd like to see a vacuum lighter than air ship that has no gas requirements. Would probably need nanotube tech to finally be developed to achieve the materials strength and weight requirements to make such a thing feasible.
A subject dear to my heart. From 2014:

The tensegrity icosahedron is dispalyed at v=1 for simplification. A higher frequency would be more spheroid. It would contain hot hydrogen at a partial vacuum.

The orange cage would also be spheroid, but instead of containing the hydrogen core and Helium, it would be steam, which has similar lift to Helium. And which would maintain the temperature of the core. I went to look up the ratio, but my old source www.flyingkettle.com/ has gone dark.

But we still have Wikipedia! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_airship

Quote:
In 2006, a new type of envelope employing a tensile membrane structure was developed by Skyacht Aircraft. This design uses an unpressurized envelope and an internal structure that uses ribs made of aluminium to keep the envelope in shape. When not in use, the structure folds up in a manner similar to an umbrella. The structure also permits the mounting of a steerable engine/propeller on the tail of the aircraft.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-16-2022)