View Single Post
Old 02-16-2022, 02:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
two-stroke oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
So I had a friend suggest running a small amount of two cycle oil in my fuel for a small mileage bump. Intrigued and glad skeptical I did a google search and apparently it’s a thing?

https://www.tundratalk.net/threads/a...nd-mpg.163858/

Thoughts? They’re talking about running it like 400:1+ in their fuel, maybe it helps lubricity of the fuel, cleans stuff, whatever? I mean, it’s an oil designed to be burnt and they do run it in rotaries…
1) Scientists would say it's anecdotal.
2) There's no controlled instrumented testing.
3) No numbers.
4) No independent verification.
5) Just subjective commentary.
6) I've never seen fuel 'lubricity' issues mentioned in industry literature.
7) Detergent motor oil will clean grease off your hands. Castor oil, or something like it would not be a surfactant or solvent.
8) A two-stroke engine is lubricated by it's fuel.
9) An automotive engine already has closed, pressurized, hydrodynamic lubrication.
10) Two-stroke mixture enters the bottom-end of the engine, lubricating the big end of the crank, and piston-pin, before leaving the crankcase and entering the cylinder ports, lubricating the cylinder walls before being captured in the cylinder head. None of this occurs in a four-stroke Otto-cycle engine. And I think two-stroke Diesels were discontinued many decades ago.
11) Oil might have a higher heat content than gasoline ( diesel does ), however, at such a 'lean' mixture, I don't know how such few extra Btus could make a 'showing' at the crankshaft and flywheel.
12) I had auto shop all the way through high school, and a junior-college engine-building course while in the military, and instructors insisted that one should NEVER use additives of any type in an automobile.
Caveat Emptor.