View Single Post
Old 02-17-2022, 03:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
My new corporate overlord doubled my rent and requires I have an online account with them , it of coarse also has fees associated with it alongside paying my landlords liability insurance.

my identity has been stolen since I was 16 and anytime I make an online payment I almost instantly am compromised again getting fraudulent charges or access attempts to my account(s)

Given Wisconsin sucks is there some way to force other payment methods?

I am disappointed I allowed this to occur, I am very picky about my landlord but sadly half the town is under corporate ownership

Doubling the rent is a common tactic to get you to move out so the owner can renovate the property and move it upmarket

No, you don't have recourse on the online payments. You can sign the new lease, or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
16% eviction rate. Seems about right to me. My WAG is that 20% of renters are such dirtbags that nobody should rent to them. By dirtbag I mean they either don't pay on time, or cause excessive damage, or create other livability issues such as being too noisy and disrespectful of others.

Those dirtbags are the reason everything is the cheapest materials possible, because the assumption is they have to get replaced often. It also contributes to "the rent is too dam high".
We've owned our rental duplex for almost 2 years and we've had 5 renters so far. The property manager has only evicted one due to noise complaints from the long term tenant on the other side. After the evict notice was served the tenant reported a kitchen fire. Coincident or not - doesn't matter - it cost me about $5,000.