View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 12:34 AM   #56 (permalink)
Duffman
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
When neither is worth a damn? Have you even though about that?
Yes I have, you know those days when it is cloudy and/or raining, solar potential is low, all you need is low wind in combination and you are up a creek without a paddle.

Quote:
Solar is perfect for the increase in day time generation. It's output profile is more or less spot on with demand during the day.
Ontario Wholesale Electricity Demand and Price Information
Supply and demand are similar but there is are gaping holes in supply for a few hours as well. Do you think the wind is only going to blow during those times or are you counting on your peaking supply to be as large as your solar?

Quote:
No one is talking about simply matching current generation MW for MW. Go check out what they've done in Germany, they were matching the grid's output compared to demand ni real time given some representative renewable mix, not just comparing the average output of renewables to conventionals.
Yes actually they are talking about replacing coal and nuke. That means MW for MW, I agree we need to reduce our consumption but I frequent a few other boards than this one and I see no indication that your avg Canadian or American is willing to change yet. Again Germany is running on 85% conventional power, when their 15% eco-power runs silent they dont see disruptions because their baseload is probably only running at 80% on an avg day anyway and has room to meet the shortfall.