View Single Post
Old 02-19-2022, 01:08 PM   #31 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Actually, AeroStealth questimated it from contemporary costs for a Kilowatt of Lithium Ion battery.
He got a call the other day from his dealer, and will be getting the 66-kWh for his BOLT.
He and his wife just did an 800+ mile trip with the defective pack, and will be cleared for trip to San Diego, CA, from New Mexico.
Regardless of the actual cost, you scored big-time!
The problem with that calculation is that I didn't get 66 kWh of Li-Ion batteries. It isn't like I got to keep the old 60 kWh battery to use as home storage or in my campervan. The old battery went back to GM and a new one with 6 more kWh replaced it.

I did gain 6 kWh of battery. Yes, that extra capacity adds 20ish miles of range although 90% or more of my trips are 50 miles or less. A handful of trips I'll be able to go a bit farther between charges and might save a few minutes. Minor score there.

Yes, I got a new battery to replace a 4 year old battery so the vehicle should go longer before an replacement battery is needed but I had no plans to own this vehicle outside of the original battery warranty so - again - nothing gained.

The only way this would be real gain to me is if the future buyer is willing to pay more for my Bolt because it has a newer battery. Time will tell if that overrides the fact that the Chevy Bolt has a reputation for catching on fire.

Now for losses. The old battery had a flat aerodynamic bottom that sealed the underside of the car. Better for aerodynamics, efficiency AND better for long term life of the car because there were no places for road grim, mud, and salt to collect and corrode the unibody. The new battery leaves the huge areas exposed to collect grim and rust out the car. Not much of an issue here in Oregon were salt use is very limited but for people in the rust belt they can expect their car to rust out faster. (Likely before the battery gives out)

There is also the time lost between the two recalls.

The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-21-2022)